Skip to main content

What is the big deal with people not liking safety harness for kids? (are you for or against?)

When my two kids were little  I had one that was so attached she never left my side and one that was a runner, meaning if he seen something he liked he went for it. Really who could blame him, at the toddler stage he really didn't understand safety and there was lots to explore. I remember going to crowed places and always having to hold his hand or put him in a stroller to keep him safe. I remember thinking how unfair this was to him but necessary cause he still did not understand safety. He was to young to really grasp it. Then on a local giving group a mom was giving away this backpack harness for free and I figured why not give it a try. It will give him a little more freedom to explore the world around him with both hands and without having to sit in a stroller.  The first time we tried we went to a local mall and he was so happy to be able to walk freely.(he is not one to hold hands) You could tell he felt like such a big boy, but with that the looks started. It really did not bother me but it did cross my mind what other people seen. Did they think my child had turned into a dog? Did he look like a dog? Should I worry he will turn into a dog?
Either way his free sprite and happy face was worth it all. My hope was to work with him on what is safe and not and do away with the leash but my son had a different plan. The next day I put it back on him and he decided not to move. Yep, just stood there looking at me. So I took it off and off he went. I put it back on and he stopped again...off, he went off...on, he stood there...it went on like this for days before I gave up the backpack and went back to hovering over him like a crazy mom making sure he was safe till he learned what was okay and not. So for me it worked once and then nothing but for toddlers who it does work for it is a amazing product! It does not take place of teaching toddlers safety but it keeps them safe while learning. I say give them freedom, keep teaching and of course keep them safe! I am for the toddler harness, but are you? I believe toddlers are meant to explore the world and learn not sit still and walk in a straight line. Feel free to comment and let me know! I would love to hear other thoughts on this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black cat hand prints

Organizing for summer cheap!

Recently I made my way to my local dollar store(same as Poundland in UK) and I am so happy I did. There was so many bins and buckets in many colors. So here is how I cleaned up my kids summer toys. For small balls, chalk, and bubbles I grabbed 3 small bins as seen above. For water toys I grabbed a big blue bin and I made sure all bins I bought had holes rather they were for wet toys or not. We got small bugs in our storage room and I am hoping the holes would kept bugs from setting up home in the bottom of the bins. Some other ideas we like to use but have not yet are... Trash bin for bigger balls or large shoe rack works too Clothes hamper for pool toys & Mesh bag for sand toys Before we really even got some what organized we use to use crates but I found that with many kids going threw creates to find certain toys it quickly got messy so I really like the idea of having bins for certain toys. I also like that the bins are smaller then the crates we were using so that the smalle…

Fizzing planets

I am sure I said this before but this really was one of my personal favorite actives. It came out amazing and my son loved it. Would for sure do this again. 
So it is simply called fizzing planets. You mix a little bit of water in baking soda and add food coloring to color it like the planet you choose. I went by a simple google picture to color the planets and then I realized I got some wrong but we also had a book to look at and read to see some real colors.  Once you make your planets let them cry for a couple of hours. You can place them in the freezer to speed this up. 

Then slowly pour vinegar over the planets to see them fizz! It started to look like a Galaxy then in the end it ended up looking like one big planet.





So neat!